This is one of my favorite ways to eat tuna fish; a big scoop of tuna on 2 halves of a homemade toasted English muffin, slice of tomato and American cheese; then broiled in the oven to melt the cheese. I also have included a version from Weight Watcher’s.
Tuna Melt Two Ways
- 2 (4.5 oz.) cans of Star Kist low sodium, chunk light in water, drained
- onion to taste, about 1/4 cup more or less
- celery to taste, about 1/4 cup more or less
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (low fat)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (low fat)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Swiss cheese, grated (optional – I never add)
- 2% American cheese slices
Combine all of the above ingredients. Toast the muffins first, then assemble your tuna melt (muffin half toasted, tuna, tomato and cheese) and broil until the American cheese melts.
You could also make a sandwich on whole wheat or just a salad on a bed of red leaf lettuce with a few sections of tomatoes. I also like to use my Panini maker and have a grilled sandwich.
I just found a Weight Watcher’s recipe and it is basically the same as above. However, they use reduced-fat Swiss cheese instead of American slices and whole wheat muffins. There is 5 points per half muffin.
- 8 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 12 oz. chunk white tuna in water, drained
- 1/3 cup onion, finely minced
- 1/3 cup celery, finely minced
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- baby lettuce leaves
Place drained tuna in a bowl and flake with a fork. Add the onions, celery and mayonnaise; mix well.
Top a bread slice with a heaping 1/3 cup of tuna, 1/4 of tomato slices and 1/4 of lettuce; top with another slice of bread.