This salad just says Spring. Cucumbers and radishes are a popular twosome that only requires some fresh herbs and a light dressing. I like to use English cukes and then vary the radishes when I can find them. I have discovered that it is better to grow your own radishes to get the many varieties that stores do not sell.
There are many recipes to choose from and even other veggies are a possibility such as shallots, red peppers and jalapenos will add a nice kick. The dressing is the big decision as you can make a citrus version like the recipe I’ve posted or a salad using a salt block or with some heat such as Thai Cucumber Sambal
Did you know that radishes are good companion plants with other veggies – they help keep the bugs away even the dreaded cucumber beetle!
Radish and Cucumber Salad with Basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (use your best when making a dressing for a salad)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced (cut in half if they are big)
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced (thyme would be a good choice with this citrus dressing)
- garnish of fresh basil leaves and ground black pepper
In a bowl whisk together the oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, honey and salt. Fold in the radishes, cucumber and shallot. Refrigerate for no longer than an hour as it does not keep well. Just before serving stir in the basil. Garnish with additional basil and ground black pepper.
This is a perfect side for Grilled Chicken with Traverse City Cherry Barbecue Sauce…