This is a quick dish to fix on the grill once you have your vegetables and meat marinating. This recipe comes from a cooking class at Ann Arbor Cooks that I have adapted to my taste. A delicious, fresh summer meal!
Grilled Lemon Chicken over Marinated Vegetables
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and sliced
- 2 tomatoes cut into medium dice (I always like to peel and seed the tomatoes)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into medium dice
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced thin diagonally
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives (optional – I did not add)
- 1 tbsp. capers (optional – I did not add)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (see below)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp. fresh oregano, minced (I added more)
Combine the vinegar, oil and oregano and pour over the vegetables. Add the feta cheese right before serving (you can prepare the vegetables up to 4 hours ahead of time).
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to a 1/4-inch thickness
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced (or use garlic powder )
- mixture of fresh thyme, oregano and parsley
- zest and juice from one lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Combine all of the ingredients and let the chicken marinate for an hour or two.
Grill the chicken, covered, for about 5-10 minutes per side depending on the thickness. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes; slice into strips.
Spoon the vegetables onto a large platter. Fan the sliced chicken over-top the vegetables. Spoon some of the vegetable marinade over the chicken and sprinkle crumbled feta on top.
Comment: I forgot to buy red wine vinegar and I substituted 3 tbsp. cider vinegar and 1 tbsp. red wine – great to have the internet where you can find answers quickly to all of your questions. My question “substitute for red wine vinegar”.