My family loves broccoli served in many different ways. We like it steamed, roasted, added to a stir-fry, in macaroni and cheese, just to munch on and in salads to name a few. It’s a very versatile vegetable and so good in all kinds of recipes. This cold salad my niece Bethany shared is just one delicious way to serve it. See also my recipe Broccoli Slaw with Nuts and Dried Cherries.
Bethany's Broccoli Salad, Adapted
- 1/2 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled (serve on the side if you have vegetarian guests)
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste (I found that the cheese and bacon provide enough salt for this salad)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise (I used low-fat)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- you could also add dried cranberries, sunflower seeds (toasted), chopped pecans (toasted) and even a diced apple would be good
Combine all of the ingredients, except for the crisp bacon which I like to serve on the side, and chill for a couple of hours.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2016/03/15/bethanys-broccoli-salad/