I get ideas for recipes in all sorts of ways. This recipe comes as a result of reading Chef Mimi’s blog recently where she posted a delicious recipe for chicken by Nigella Lawson. As I did not have any of Nigella’s cookbooks I asked Chef Mimi which ones she might recommend. One of her suggestions was “Feast”.
I ordered “Feast” from Amazon Prime and I had the cookbook within days. While going through it I ran across all kinds of great recipes that I might like to make. One of them was this simple hot chocolate. I said to myself “I can make this now as I have all of the ingredients – perfect for an after dinner treat”.
Hot Chocolate for Adults
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 3-1/2 oz. good quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (semi will be sweeter and I used Ghiradelli)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. brown sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. dark rum or to taste (I recommend 2 tbsp.)
- whipping cream (see Whipping Cream Eight Ways for lots of recipes) chocolate sprinkles and or caramel or chocolate sauce to garnish
Combine the first five ingredients and cook until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and rum to taste.
Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream (amazing how fast it melts once it hits the hot chocolate) add a few chocolate sprinkles and any other garnish. Of course you could add Kahlua or Baileys instead!
This is an excellent recipe and very simple to make with ingredients I usually have on hand.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2016/01/22/hot-chocolate-for-adults/
I wanted to include one more recipe that I forgot about that has been in my draft file. (I wondered what the Baileys caramel liqueur was for). This one has to be even better just looking at the yummy ingredients.
Hot Caramel Cocoa
- 4 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup caramel liqueur (Baileys)
- caramel topping and whipped cream for garnish
Melt the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan. In a large saucepan combine the milk, evaporated milk and brown sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and add liqueur. Garnish with whipped cream and caramel topping.
To make your hot chocolate extra special try making these marshmallows…
- large marshmallows
- 60 % cacao chocolate morsels, melted
- crushed peppermints (optional)
Dip 1/3 to 1/2 of each marshmallow in melted chocolate and then dip in peppermint if desired. Place on waxed paper and can be stored for up to 3 days.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2016/01/22/hot-chocolate-for/