I came up with this recipe as I needed to use some onion jam I made recently with Caramelized Onions. Everyone loves a grilled cheese because you can make it your own by the bread, cheese and other filling ingredients you like as well as the type of spread.
Grilled Cheese with Taleggio, Onion Jam and Prosciutto
- good quality bread from your local bakery, sliced (I used sourdough from Zingerman’s)
- onion jam (recipe below) I also used some simple caramelized onions and the sandwich was delicious
- prosciutto, paper thin
- Taleggio cheese from Italy, shredded (melts quicker) has a strong smell but is relatively mild, has an unusual fruity taste and melts beautifully
I love to use my panini maker – I like how Oprah calls sandwiches made in one her “love sandwiches”. You don’t need one of these appliances as you can make them on a grill pan right on top of your stove, or even your grill.
Spread both slices of bread with onion jam, top with prosciutto and then the cheese. Cook until the cheese starts to ooze out from the bread and you have nice grill marks.
Onion Jam America’s Test Kitchen, Adapted:
- 1 cup caramelized onions from 2 very large onions (the onions only had a little oil and some salt while they cooked)
- 1-1/2 tbsp. dark rum
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
Combine the above ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it has a jam like consistency.
Recipe from cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2015/12/10/grilled-cheese…-and-prosciuto/