I was introduced to ginger beer (not real beer) last summer with a special cocktail called Moscow Mules. Ginger beer has no alcohol but is made with concentrated ginger syrup mixed with carbonated water. I served this delicious chicken with Mango Salsa and Roasted Potatoes. With leftovers one night I served it with my Black Beans. I have adapted this recipe from a recent issue of Cuisine Tonight.
Island Style Ginger Beer Chicken
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Dijon
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika (Hungarian)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
Pulse the above ingredients and place in a bowl. Add:
- 6-12 oz. ginger beer ( I used 6 oz.)
- 2-4 chicken breasts (if they are thick I will often pound them to make them thinner and cook more evenly)
Cover and chill 2 to 4 hours, or even overnight would be fine.
Preheat the grill or grill pan . Remove chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season with kosher salt and spray chicken and grill with non-stick spray.
Grill, until browned and the chicken registers 165°F to 170°F depending on the thickness of your chicken. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju