Dad did not do a lot of cooking but he did have a couple of special dishes he enjoyed making for us. This is delicious and the entire family loves it except for the occasional vegetarian and she picks out the meat!
Dad's Pepper Steak
- 2 lbs. top round steak, thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, chopped (can also use red)
- 1-1/2 cups celery, chopped
- lots of onion, chopped
- 1 (10-3/4 oz.) can condensed beef broth (have an extra can on hand in case you need to thin the sauce
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water (may need more to thicken the sauce)
Combine the beef broth and cornstarch mixture.
Sauce: (I usually double the ingredients)
- 1/3 cup Karo
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried ginger
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- salt to taste or add any seasonings such as Sriracha, cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning
Freeze the meat for 15 to 30 minutes before slicing. This will make it easier to cut thin strips. Marinate the meat in a little sauce a few hours before cooking.
Saute beef on medium high heat in a large skillet to get a nice brown color and the red in the meat disappears. Do this in two batches, if needed, so as not to crowd the meat, you want to brown it. Remove the meat; set aside and add the onions and celery and cook until tender. Return the meat to the pan and add the sauce ingredients.
In a separate skillet saute the peppers until just crisp tender for a few minutes. Add to meat mixture and add the beef broth and cornstarch mixture and serve over rice.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju
I like to use my Wusthof classic super slicer with the gently scalloped edge.