When I do not feel like making a pie crust or I am a little short on time I will make this apple crisp with a cheese crust.
Apple Cheese Crisp
- 5 medium-sized apples of your choice (or enough apples to fit the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish with room for the topping)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. apple cider or you can use water
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Pre-heat the oven to 325°F. Peel, core, and slice the apples into a buttered 9-inch square baking dish. In a bowl, combine the sugars, rind, cardamom and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the apples and mix together with your hands. Sprinkle the cider and lemon juice all over the apples.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup good quality Wisconsin cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup cold butter
In a bowl, combine all the topping ingredients and mix with your hands to a crumbly consistency; pat over the apples. Make a couple of slits in the center of the dough. Bake for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the mixture is golden brown and bubbles up in the center. Serve warm with cream or cold with ice cream.