These are so tasty cooked slowly in a slow cooker. Everyone enjoys them and this is a Weight Watcher’s recipe.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1-1/2 lbs. ground sirloin (90% lean, 10% fat)
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- fresh parsley, chopped or dried to taste
- 2 tbsp. onion, minced; I often add a little more as some of the onion falls off into the sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup (reduced sugar)
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 (16 oz.) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir just until blended. Shape mixture into 30 (1-1/2-inch) meatballs using a stainless scoop making the meatballs the same size. Place in 4 quart slow cooker.
I have also cooked then on a rack over a sheet pan at 425°F for 10 minutes, then turned and cooked 5 minutes more. This helps to keep them together before adding to the slow cooker and then I reduced the cooking time.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and cook until cranberry sauce has melted. Pour over the meatballs, stirring gently. Cover with the lid; cook on high heat setting for 1 hour. Reduce heat setting to low and cook for another 6 hours.
Recipe can be doubled but use a 6 quart slow cooker. Also cook on high for 3 hours, then on low for 6 hours.
Points 7 (3 meatballs and 2 tbsp. sauce)
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2011/11/13/sweet-and-sour-meatballs/