This is a classic chicken dish which has been lightened up a bit and is also low in sodium, but you still get that wonderful taste. Serve this entree with egg noodles, linguini or cheese tortellini.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts flattened to about 1/4 inch
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Tuscan Sunset (Penzeys Spices) ingredients are basil, oregano, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme, fennel, black pepper and anise
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms or zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/4 cup dry Sherry
- 1 tsp. low salt (or no salt) chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp. sugar or Splenda
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
Combine flour, garlic powder and Tuscan spice blend; dredge chicken in this mixture. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. You want to cook the chicken at a high enough temperature to brown the breasts. This should take about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm while preparing the sauce.
For the sauce, heat oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat; add onions and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms or zucchini and cook for about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the Marsala, Sherry, bouillon and sweetener; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. The sauce should be reduced, if not cook a little longer.
Return chicken to skillet; simmer until chicken is heated through and covered nicely with the sauce. Add the fresh parsley to garnish this main dish.