This salad was one of my first recipes I posted on my blog way back in late 2011. It was and still is a family favorite. Simple ingredients with a basil vinaigrette make a delicious side especially during the summer when you are grilling.
It has undergone a few changes to include an assortment of greens instead of just red leaf lettuce. I’ve also added cherry and Kumato tomatoes, toasted and chopped pecans, pineapple juice instead of lemon juice in the basil vinaigrette and a fresh basil garnish.
Pineapple, Vidalia Onion and Blue Cheese Over Mixed Greens
- 3 tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped – fresh is really important, plus extra to garnish
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp. fresh pineapple juice
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- power greens including baby spinach, chard, kale and mizuna
- fresh pineapple, sliced and cut in half
- Vidalia or any sweet onion, thinly sliced and cut in half
- blue cheese crumbles, reduced fat
- cherry and kumato tomatoes, sliced in half
- toasted, chopped pecans
Combine the fresh basil and vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to release the basil’s wonderful flavor. Add the olive oil, pineapple juice and salt and pepper to taste; set aside. The dressing is enough for 8 servings.
Core and peel the pineapple and cut into slices; cut each slice in half. Peel the onion and cut into thin slices; cut these in half as well.
Toast the nuts in a dry skillet until you can smell their nuttiness. Allow to cool and chop into pieces.
To serve: On chilled salad plates place an assortment of greens. Beginning at the outside of each plate and moving toward the center, place a half slice of pineapple followed by a half slice of onion twice. Finish with a third slice of pineapple. Each plate should have 3 slices of pineapple and 2 slices of onion cut in half. Scatter the tomatoes around the salad, top with the toasted nuts and blue cheese. Drizzle the dressing over each salad, garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Recipe by Cooking with Aunt Juju
Angie over at Fiesta Friday has kicked off her Healthy Challenge and I am sharing this simple, healthy and delicious salad which includes two required ingredients; pineapple and greens. This recipe was inspired by The Hunt and Grunt Club.