How do you say “yum” in Chinese. These potatoes were perfectly seasoned and I could not get enough of them! Hunan food is known to be spicy and from the few dishes I have made so far I certainly agree. But like any recipe you can make it to your taste. Hunan is located in the mid-west part of China and it has been said that Tuscany is to Italy what Hunan is to China! Sounds good to me…
Spicy Hunan Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 3 slices of bacon or streaky bacon as it is sometimes called – all comes from pork belly
- 1 red chili pepper (I used a red jalapeno)
- 1 green chili pepper (I used a green jalapeno)
- 1 leek – white part and you can add some light green too
- red onion (as much as you want)
- couple of green onions, sliced diagonally
- fresh minced ginger to taste
- couple cloves of garlic (minced or sliced)
- 1 tbsp. hot bean sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce (used all dark soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. dark soy sauce (I chose to use all dark soy sauce or 2-1/2 tsp.)
- 1 tbsp. Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 2 tsp. of sugar
- additional salt (optional) – you really don’t need it
- peanut oil
Peel the potatoes if desired and slice them very thin. Wash the potatoes twice in cold water to remove the extra starch; dry on paper towels. Cut the bacon into pieces; cut the chili peppers, red onion, garlic and leeks into thin slices. Mince the ginger (you don’t want to eat a whole slice of ginger). You can also mince the garlic.
Heat the oil in your wok or skillet and deep fry the potato slices until they are golden brown. Remove and drain.
Fry the bacon pieces until almost crisp; remove and drain.
Add the green onion, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a minute or two. Add hot bean sauce ; stir. Add the soy sauces, sugar, salt (optional – the dish is already salty enough) and cooking wine; mix well. Add the potatoes, bacon and rest of the ingredients. Continue to stir-fry until it smells so good and looks very yummy 🙂
I served these very yummy, spicy potatoes with turkey burgers. I ate all my potatoes instead of finishing my burger. Don’t you love the color of the potatoes and the three different onions, oh and of course the jalapenos ?
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju
This is a last minute link to the Fiesta Friday party as my old computer “died” on me last week and I now have a new one! Thank goodness I did not lose any data. Now, if I can just get any new pictures organized!