This is a recipe Gene received from a friend and his version was very simple and one we liked any time of the year, but especially in the Fall/Winter. You can make this in the oven or slow cooker, or even on top of the stove. You just want to cook it slowly at a lower temperature for a couple of hours.
Sauerkraut and Kielbasa
- kielbasa or any sausage you would like, cut into pieces
- bag of sauerkraut or a jar, drained and rinsed
- apples, cut into pieces (I leave the skin on)
- onions, chopped
- caraway seeds
- bacon bits (originally I fried the bacon and added the bacon bits and grease but now I just add the bacon)
- you can add a a little liquid such as white wine or low-salt chicken broth
If you are using fresh sausage, brown it first then cut into pieces. Add the sauerkraut, apple pieces, bacon and caraway seeds. You can add a little liquid if you want but I don’t any more. Preheat the oven to 300°F and cook it, covered, for 2 hours.
I served it with Grandma’s Applesauce, and a nice glass of Pinot Grigio.
Next time I make this I will also serve it with my Caraway-Sauerkraut Bread which will go with this dinner perfectly.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2015/01/09/genes-sauerkraut-and-kielbasa/
Just read that German and Dutch settlers brought sauerkraut to the new world along with the tradition of eating pork and sauerkraut on New Year’s Day for good luck in the New Year.