I like to serve salsas alongside a main dish especially during the summer months when all of the vegetables and fruits are so fresh here in Michigan.
Cantaloupes are a favorite fruit when they are ripe and juicy. I use to grow them in Manchester in my big 40 x 120′ garden. My only problem was so many of them ripened at the same time – we were eating cantaloupes all day long. I needed to stagger my plantings but it just never worked out…
As a suggestion serve this salsa with fish or seafood such as my post Prosciutto Wrapped Grilled Shrimp – a perfect summer meal.
Cucumber Melon Salsa
- 2 cups cantaloupe, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 tbsp. fresh basil, minced,
- 2 tbsp. shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- add some minced jalapeno if you would like a little heat to this salsa
- red pepper slivers would be a nice addition and add some color
Combine all ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
Recipe by cookingwithauntjuju.com
Two kinds of basil on the right; the small basil leaves are perfect for this salsa…