This salad was on the menu of a number of good restaurants and one I always liked because of its simplicity. You can add as many or as few garnishes as you like and let everyone dress their own salad. We had this with our barbecue dinner last night. Pork tenderloin; broccoli, cauliflower and red onion; and fresh corn all on the grill and this great salad – very simple and everyone (including the cook) was able to relax!
Wedges of Iceberg Lettuce Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 8 wedges (or use mini romaine heads cut in half)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 8 strips bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- red onion, sliced
- 1 cup homemade Thousand Island Dressing (see below)
Romaine is also delicious grilled, brushed with a little oil and grilled cut side down for a few minutes. Place each wedge on a chilled salad plate and garnish with tomatoes, bacon and dressing. You can use any kind of dressing besides Thousand Island such as a blue cheese or maybe a ranch.
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I always use low-fat)
- 2/3 cup prepared chili sauce
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. minced onion
- 2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish (you could use sweet pickles, minced finely)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- dash of Tabasco
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all of the ingredients. This dressing will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. So much better than the bottled versions! I like the mini romaine heads; trim the ends and cut in half.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju