This stuffing is special as it not only has the traditional ingredients of bread, onions and celery, but pecans and dried cherries. You could substitute cranberries for the cherries.
Cherry and Pecan Stuffing
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. onion, chopped
- 8 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped or 1 tsp. dried sage
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 18 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
Melt butter and saute onions and celery. Add sage and cook a couple more minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes until liquid has reduced by half.
Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients, including the remaining stock; mix to combine. Bake at 375°F, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.
Recipe by cookingwithauntjuju.com
See also my recipe for Traditional Bread Stuffing. Last year I found a good one with sausage, Sausage Stuffing in the Slow Cooker. I always make the traditional one and then one other when I am cooking a holiday meal.