This stuffing is special as it not only has the traditional ingredients of bread, onions and celery, but pecans and dried cherries. You could substitute cranberries for the cherries.
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. onion, chopped
- 8 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped or 1 tsp. dried sage
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 18 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
Melt butter and saute onions and celery. Add sage and cook a couple more minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes until liquid has reduced by half.
Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients, including the remaining stock; mix to combine. Bake at 375 degrees, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.
See also my recipe for Traditional Bread Stuffing. Last year I found a good one with sausage, Sausage Stuffing in the Slow Cooker. I always make the traditional one and then one other when I am cooking a holiday meal.