I love stir-fry vegetables, however it is nice to fix them in a healthier way such as steaming them. The idea appeared in “Cook Healthy” and it had all of the right ingredients so I figured I would give it a go.
Steamed Vegetables, Adapted
- 4 cups cauliflower or broccoli florets
- a piece of fresh ginger, about an inch long, peeled and quartered if the piece is big, otherwise cut in half
- assortment of sweet pepper strips
- 2 cups snow peas, trimmed
- 4 green onions cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil (or more) minced – using fresh makes a big difference in the final dish
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- pinch or two of crushed red pepper
Place the cauliflower florets and ginger pieces in your steamer. Steam for about 3-5 minutes. Add the rest of the veggies and steam for another 3-5 minutes. I like my veggies crisp so I never cook them too long.
Remove from the heat, throw out the ginger and toss with dressing. This is good served warm or at room temperature.
There are other ingredients you can add to a veggie stir-fry such as replacing the crushed red pepper with Sriracha, adding different herbs and/or spices, stirring in a little green or sun-dried pesto, adding balsamic vinegar or even sprinkling on some cheese such as feta or Parmesan.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2016/02/13/steamed-vegetables/