This is a great soup to serve any time – it is very hardy with lots of good flavor. I have tried a few different recipes over the years and finally came up with my own version.
Italian Sausage soup with Tortellini Pasta
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1-1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups zucchini, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 48 oz. beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Merlot
- 4 large tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped ( in season), or a large can of tomatoes – 1 lb. 12 oz. chopped, or use a large can of crushed tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, minced or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano leaves or 1 tsp. dried
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1-2 Parmesan rinds
- 12 oz. fresh cheese tortellini pasta or you can use dried (which are smaller)
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- Parmesan cheese, grated for garnish
In a large saucepan cook the sausage until it is no longer pink and break it up continuously; remove and drain using a slotted spoon. Save some of the grease and saute the onions, carrots and zucchini for 10-15 minutes and add the garlic during the last minute of cooking. Stir in the beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes and liquid, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, sausage and Parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Skim any fat from the soup if desired. Add the parsley and tortellini and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Remove the rinds before serving and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Recipe by cookingwithauntjuju.com