This is another good basic Weight Watcher’s pasta casserole with lean ground turkey, peppers and onions, penne, marinara sauce and cheese.
Weight Watcher's Turkey and Penne Casserole
- 12 oz. penne or ziti pasta
- 2 tsp. canola oil (I do not use)
- 1 lb. ground turkey (I use 93/7 lean)
- 1 onion, chopped
- (2-28-13 – I added minced garlic – optional)
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped (this time I did half green and half red or if you want some heat add a poblano or a jalapeno)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 (24 oz.) jar marinara sauce (I added a little more – I use Prego Heart Healthy Sauce – you can always use your own sauce)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
Cook the pasta according to package directions.
Cook the turkey, peppers, onions, salt and pepper and any other seasonings in a large non-stick skillet until the turkey is no longer pink; drain. (Cook in the 2 tsp. oil but you really do not need it – saves points).
Stir in the cooked pasta, marinara sauce and ricotta. Spoon the mixture into a large baking pan (use a spray if it is non-stick). Top with the mozarella and bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
Serves 8 with 7 points (old system) per serving
Comment: Many of the Prego marinara sauces have additions such as mushroom, basil, heart-healthy and so on; this will add extra flavor to this dish. Or you can add Italian seasoning or any other spices that you might like. My homemade sauce is flavored with different seasonings and I like to use it if possible. If you make it when you have fresh herbs by all means add these instead of dried.
Recipe by cookingwithauntjuju.com