This is also known as a Denver omelet with the classic combination of onion, green peppers and ham in a fluffy egg mixture, a perfect breakfast for 2. I changed the ingredients a little bit such as using low-fat cheese instead of ham and chipotle pepper instead of thyme. See also Weight Watcher’s Broccoli and Cheese Frittata.
Weight Watcher's Western Omelet
- 1 tsp. butter
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green (or red) pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 lb. ham, diced (I used a 1/4 cup of low-fat sharp cheddar cheese instead)
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme (I used a sprinkling of chipotle pepper or cayenne pepper would be good too)
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free egg substitute
Spray an 8-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, green pepper, ham (if using), black pepper and thyme if using. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
Pour in the egg substitute and swirl to cover the pan; cook, stirring gently, until the underside begins to set, about 3 minutes. If you are using cheese instead of ham add it about 2 minutes after you added the egg substitute and continue to cook for another minute. Fold one side of the omelet over the other and cook 2 minutes more. Flip and cook another minute.
I also have just scrambled the eggs as in the picture on the right.
Weight Watcher’s 4 points per serving
Recipe by cookingwithauntjuju.com