Ouch! This Weight Watcher’s recipe went from 7 points with the old points system to 9 points with the new system per serving. Weight Watcher’s is hitting the carbohydrates pretty hard, which makes sense. The good thing is most of the vegetables and fruits are 0 points (I love bananas which use to be 2 points).
Ziti With Sausage and Peppers
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- onions, chopped
- use any fresh peppers you like, such as green, poblano, Anaheim or Italian frying peppers, chopped to taste
- 1 cup low sodium tomato juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 links Italian style turkey sausage (about 1/4 lb.) casings removed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can tomatoes, diced (no salt added)
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano, minced, or 1 tsp. dried
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- salt to taste (I never add)
- 2 cups ziti, penne or any tube pasta
- 4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet; add the onions and sausage and saute until the onions are tender. Add the peppers and garlic and saute until done (I like my peppers crisp so I do not cook them very long). Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and cook until the sauce thickens.
Cook the ziti according to package directions. Drain and put in a bowl and top with the sauce and cheese. Toss to combine.
Serves 4 – Weight Watcher’s points :9 per serving
Here I used poblano and anaheim peppers – use any pepper you would like.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2011/12/02/ziti-with-sausage-and-peppers/