I just love to fix squash in the Fall months and these microwave recipes make it very easy. One is a Weight Watcher’s version.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. honey
- dash of cinnamon and nutmeg (optional – I always add)
Cut squash in half; discard seeds or save to toast them later. Place squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
Turn squash cut side up. Fill centers of squash with sugar, butter and honey. Add spices if desired. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Weight Watcher’s Mashed Butternut Squash with Apples
- 20 oz. butternut squash, peeled and cubed (you can actually buy 1-1/4 pound packages of already peeled and cubed butternut squash)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tbsp. butter, diced
- 1-1/2 tsp. fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp. dried
- salt and pepper to taste
Put squash, apples and cider in a shallow microwave safe dish; sprinkle butter over top. Cover and microwave until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Mash until smooth, but slightly chunky. Stir in thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
Points value of 2 per serving