Do you ever wonder if your baking soda is still fresh? I did as I knew I had this box for quite awhile and like most ingredients does not last forever. The expiration date is 10-20-17 so not too far off; I probably should buy a new one just to be sure.
Put on your white coat and goggles and get ready for a scientific experiment.
Add 1 tsp. baking soda to 1/4 cup of white vinegar and see the results. If it bubbles vigorously it should be still fresh. What do you think? It almost bubbled over the top…
Most of us know about baking soda’s leavening power and how it becomes active when mixed with liquids. This makes our doughs rise. It is also good for other reasons:
- place an open box in your refrigerator to help eliminate odors
- I add 1/2 tsp. to my Red Bell Pepper Sauce (it’s especially good with salmon) to reduce the acidity of the peppers
- add a pinch to the shrimp in Shrimp Fra Diavolo to give it more of a snappy texture
- makes onions brown faster
- helps to make tomato based sauces less acidic
I’m sure there are other qualities of baking soda so it’s always important that it’s fresh!
Linking to Fiesta Friday #186.