This is another exceptional recipe from Weight Watcher’s. Unfortunately my earlier WW recipes have the old points and I do not have the nutritional information to update this recipe. The best thing to do is add a point or two when it is an older recipe.
Szechuan Chicken With Peanuts
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp. hoisin sauce (sometimes I substitute soy sauce as hoisin has a lot of sugar)
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth (I use an organic, low-sodium broth)
- 2 tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar (could use Splenda but I did not add)
- 2 tsp. Thai chili sauce
- 1 tbsp. canola oil (I use less)
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced (use fresh if you can – it really gives some nice flavor to this dish)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (sometimes I use a Poblano for a little heat)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- other vegetables such as water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts or any vegies you would like
Combine the chicken strips, 1 tbsp. of the hoisin (or use a lite soy sauce) and 1 tbsp. cornstarch in a medium bowl. Toss to coat and set aside. Combine the remaining 2 tbsp. hoisin (or lite soy sauce), 1 tbsp. cornstarch, the broth, vinegar, sugar, and chili sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Stir-fry the chicken for about 2 to 3 minutes; remove and keep warm. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minutes. Add the pepper, carrots and peanuts and stir-fry until tender. This time when I made this recipe I added water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Add the sauce mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens. Finally add the chicken and heat through.
Serves 4: Old Points Value is 6 per serving
Comment: I put the carrots in the microwave for a minute or two, as I like this vegetable cooked more.
Recipe by cooking with aunt juju @ https://cookingwithauntjuju.com/2011/12/05/szechuan-chicken-with-peanuts/