Another comfort food that everyone has a recipe for. Mine is made with my homemade applesauce (a request from my husband who is not a ketchup fan). This meat loaf makes a delicious sandwich.
Meat Loaf with Applesauce
- 1 cup homemade unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs (white or whole wheat) about 8 slices, de-crusted, Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat (45 calories) processed in food processor
- 2 lbs. ground round (you could substitute turkey or combine 1 lb. beef and 1 lb. pork)
- 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced or you can use a combination of red and green
- 1 jalapeno, diced(optional)
- garlic, minced (optional)
- 6-8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (cheese of your choice – I have used Monterey Jack with Jalapenos)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. Sriracha for extra flavor
Sometimes I like to saute the peppers, onions and garlic in a little oil, cool and then add to the mixture.
Mix together all of the ingredients and press into a 9x5x3-inch meat loaf pan. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes. Allow to stand 20 minutes before serving so it will slice easier.
This time I made it into a free-form loaf where it achieved an all-over browned crust. I used one of my old-fashioned broiling pans that had an insert with holes in it. I placed foil on top and poked through all of the holes so the fat would drain into the bottom pan. You can use any sheet pan and line it with cooling racks as well.
Recipe by cookingwithauntjuju.com
You can also use a two-piece meat loaf pan.
Getting ready to bake…