This is really “twice-baked cauliflower” – like in twice baked potatoes with all the goodies. This is a healthier version of a summer favorite. You can substitute lower fat cheeses and even the sour cream without affecting the taste. If you want to use turkey bacon you will not get the fat needed to roast the cauliflower, but of course you can use oil instead.
Served with a filet, lots of fresh tomatoes and a glass of Merlot – you can’t ask for a better Saturday night meal as summer is winding down.
This idea comes from the Food Network and I have adapted their recipe; you can do that too…
Three Cheese Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole
- bacon fried, drained and torn into pieces; reserve 2 tbsp. of the drippings (to taste 6-8 slices)
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- freshly ground black pepper to taste (salt is not needed because of the bacon and cheese)
- 6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (I added this)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- chives (I had lots growing so added this)
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a 3-quart casserole dish with nonstick spray, add the cauliflower and toss with the 2 tbsp. bacon drippings and pepper. Roast until the florets are soft and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes.
Mix the cream cheese, 1 cup of the cheddar, Parmesan and sour cream with a mixer in a bowl until combined. Spread this mixture over the cauliflower, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup Cheddar and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5-7 minutes more.
Scatter bacon bits, green onions and chives over the cauliflower casserole and serve.
Recipe by cookingwithauntjuju.com
Sharing this cheesy cauliflower dish with Fiesta Friday #188.