This is a great breakfast or brunch dish to serve to a crowd and is probably the one I make the most. It is an easy recipe to cut back on the calories and noone knows the difference. Such as use 2% cheddar cheese, low fat milk, low sodium soup and egg beaters.
- 8 slices white bread (could use whole wheat) decrusted and cubed, cover the bottom of your pan
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. zesty hot sausage ( I use Bob Evans, but Jimmy Dean or any bulk sausage is fine)
- 1/2 lb. ham, cooked and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
Place cubed bread in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Cook sausage and onion; drain and spread over cheese; add cooked ham. Mix eggs, milk and dry mustard; pour over meat mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before baking. Top casserole with mixture of soup and 1/2 cup milk before baking 1-1/2 hours (may need to cook longer – just test with a knife) uncovered, in a preheated 350°f oven. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting.